EVERTEC’s CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY EFFORTS
Evertec, a leading transaction processing and technology company in Latin America, has significantly increased its support of philanthropic causes in Puerto Rico over the last two years. The company focuses its corporate responsibility efforts on three main pillars: education, community and conservation.
This local commitment, has been considerably strengthened since the beginning of 2015, when Mac Schuessler joined the company as President and CEO. As part of the launch of its new brand, mission and values, Evertec introduced community commitment as one of the core values of its new corporate culture. "Each of us at Evertec is aware of the difficult economic situation facing Puerto Ricans today. We believe these challenging times require that we do even more to help our communities" says Schuessler.
In the course of 2016 more than $250,000 has been invested by the company, its board, management team and employees. The majority of the contributions have been through five programs, most of which were recently launched:
- Scholarship Program – This year, Evertec granted 41 scholarships to outstanding students in Puerto Rico, and has now launched the program in their other business locations in Latin America. This effort began in 2015 and was increased by 30% in 2016 given the significant demand of over 200 students who expressed interest.
- Volunteer Day - Evertec held its second Volunteer Day in August and over 600 people, including employees, friends and relatives, contributed more than 2,400 hours of volunteer work and service. The volunteerism supported 19 non-profit organizations across Puerto Rico and Latin America.
- Magical Ice Performance at the ATH® Suite" - In 2016, for the first time ever, more than 100 needy children from 7 non-profit organizations were VIP guests in the ATH® Network suite at the Coliseo de Puerto Rico for a magical performance of the Disney On Ice show. Evertec provided transportation, refreshments, suite tickets and gifts to each child, many of whom had never seen a professional live performance.
- Environmental protection – Revolución Naranja, Evertec’s employee environmental program, collected over 240,000 pounds of recyclable materials.
- Corporate contributions - More than $150,000 has been invested this year in sponsorships and donations for non-profit institutions supporting children, the environment, the arts and the broader community. Additionally, the leadership team has served on the host and organizing committee for philanthropic events in the community, including for Habitat for Humanity and the Museo de Puerto Rico fundraisers.
"I want to personally express my heartfelt gratitude to my Evertec colleagues who through their professional and personal efforts enable our company to generously contribute to the well-being of the individuals and institutions in our community” said Evertec’s President and CEO.